Tuesday, April 28, 2009

My umbrella cockatoo is in a wierd predicament. Please help!?

I just brought an umbrella cockatoo that wasn't being given enough attention by his old owners. The problem for me now is that he won't come up to my hand when i tell him up. He will let anyone including me touch him, pet him, even preen him but no matter what i do he will not get up on my hand. I tried to use a branch from a tree, tried to lightly force him on either my left hand or right hand depending on which side he goes to, and put my arm next to his feet right under him. He will not get up. Can someone explain to me why he acts like this?

My umbrella cockatoo is in a wierd predicament. Please help!?
Be patient, it doesn't trust you enough yet. It could also be that he wasn't out of his cage much, or on the shoulders of his previous owners, and he's just a little uneasy. Cockatoos love to be cuddled, but there is a lot of trust on both sides to cuddle with them. Work on him by giving him lots of attention and trying to reteach him the UP command. Let him know you're in the room by talking to him and using his name even if you are working on something else. Trust takes time, because it makes them vulnerable, and their instincts fight against being vulnerable.


Sounds like a cutie, good luck!


No comments:

Post a Comment