Tuesday, April 28, 2009

I have a umbrella tree in my house , it looks sick .. do they like to have a smaller pot or does it not matter

how often does it need to be watered? I also have two rubber bushes ,how often do they like water ??

I have a umbrella tree in my house , it looks sick .. do they like to have a smaller pot or does it not matter
The size of the pot does matter. The plant might be root bound-- which means there isn't room in the pot for more roots--


To check root bound-- tip pot over and tap around-- then pull out the plant-- root and all. (can't do this if it's wet)-- If all you see are roots-- there are two things to do--


1) use a sharp knife and slice roots off on 4 sides-- just gauge by the pot shape--then repot with new soil-- water and wait.


2) tap out as before-- if root bound-- use fingers to untangle roots, pot with new soil in a pot at least 2 inches larger than the last one-- water and wait.


When to water-- depends....... yep, one of those-- learn to gauge dryness in the pot-- stick your finger straight down-- if dry a knuckle deep- yep-- it's dry- -- if the leaves are drooping-- waited too long-- if leaves are trying to turn yellow-- watered too much.


This plant is of tropical origin-- usually they are kinder about too much water. I've found that if I water the same day of the week-- and my house isn't too dry from heater or air conditioner-- the plants are happy.


Good luck
Reply:Maybe it's looking for a mate. Keep a umbrella near it.


No comments:

Post a Comment